SRCCON:LEAD will reimagine how leadership works in journalism because as an industry, we have to stop making the same mistakes. Through talks, hands-on sessions, and emergent conversations, 125 participants will spend two days developing the skills to build more representative news organizations—from within or from the ground up. That means listening to everyone in the room, and it starts with making the room more inclusive in the first place.
Our call for participation will be open for attendees for as long as we have room. Join us!
When & where
November 19 & 20 in Philadelphia, at the Fleisher Art Memorial
SRCCON:LEAD is the third in a series of smaller, thematic events built around the hands-on problem-solving that the news-nerd community brings into SRCCON events. SRCCON:WORK explored how we support each other and collaborate. SRCCON:POWER dug into the power dynamics of newsroom relationships and decisionmaking.
Those themes carry us into SRCCON:LEAD, where we’ll:
- wrestle with the ways this industry often doesn’t prepare or support the people it asks to lead
- imagine better, more inclusive ways to wield and understand power
- inspire each other to transform how leadership works in our own organizations, regardless of title or job description
- teach each other the practical skills—from handling money and hiring to effective communication—we can use to be part of that change
This is a conference for people with leadership experience, people who aren’t in leadership but want to be, and for people who don’t want to be but know journalism leadership needs to be better. We believe we learn best when we learn from each other, and coming together for hard conversations can strengthen our community.
Our program has collaboration at its heart, with sessions proposed and led by community members, and a schedule built to support them. We also believe that people who work in journalism-tech are uniquely positioned to lead, because they already work across teams, disciplines, and organizations.
Who participates and how?
We’ll gather 125 people who want to reimagine leadership in journalism. Sometimes that work comes with a title, sometimes it comes with pay—we also know it oftentimes comes with neither.
SRCCON events work because they bring together different backgrounds and types of experience, so we’re inviting people who:
- are leading from within their organizations, in formal ways or through roles they weren’t hired for. Mentoring peers, elevating equity and inclusion, organizing for better salaries, exploring new products and revenue models, repairing relationships with communities—this is all leadership work that’s changing journalism from the inside.
- manage teams, big or small, from well-established to just starting up. People who see hiring as a chance to develop a team that reflects the places they cover. People who are figuring things out on the fly, but see honest conversations, well-handled conflict, and even a few internal spreadsheets as tools to transform how journalism works. And people who think someday, they might want to move into a role like that too.
- are redefining what it means to be a leader in journalism. Management isn’t the only way to be a leader or build a career path. People come into journalism-tech from all kinds of backgrounds, bringing with them new ideas for how journalism can and must evolve.
If you’re reading this, we bet you’ll see echoes of your own work here. The conversations at SRCCON:LEAD need your insights, gathered through work experience, life experience, or otherwise. This event is built in a way that helps people from many styles and levels of leadership listen to and learn from each other. Whether you’ve attended before, have never been, or have never even heard of SRCCON, we’re excited for you to participate!
How can I take part?
There are many ways to participate in SRCCON:LEAD! You could:
- facilitate a session
- help us prepare for the event
- bring your questions and experiences as an attendee
Or suggest something we haven’t thought of yet. The participation form will help you tell us how you’d like to be part of SRCCON:LEAD. If invited to attend, you will have the chance to purchase a ticket.
How much does it cost?
Ticket prices start at $225, plus ticketing fees. We’ll also offer a limited number of need-based travel scholarships, with a $500 stipend for travel costs and a free ticket. You can apply for a scholarship right in the call for participation form.
SRCCON events don’t have open sale dates or lotteries. If you want to come to SRCCON:LEAD, our call for participation is how to let us know! We know this is a busy time of year, so if you have any particular scheduling needs, please just let us know.